1 February 2020

TBCS - Duh Moment - Judy -Anne


I had a bit of a duh moment driving over to school this morning.
Steve and I had been talking about K yesterday in a discussion about why some of our children had moved and some had not. I mentioned a comment I had put in his report about his perfectionism getting in the way, and his ability being higher than his confidence. I had a similar discussion with Mel as she works with him too, and has noticed the same thing.
So my duh moment was thinking about similar children I have taught, J from here and a child years ago at Victory. One of the strategies we used then was to set a timer during writing time. When they got stuck on a word they had a set amount of time ( generally a minute) to make their best attempt at the word then they had to move on.
Time to try this with K!

Reflection:
Sometimes we just forget about things we used to do.
One of the advantages of being in a small school is that we talk with each other a lot, and everybody tends to know about all the children, not just the ones in their own class. It means there are lots of brains trying to come up with solutions.

Next steps:
Set the timer for K when he gets stuck on a word during writing
Continue to work on adding  sounds and words to his kete so his bank of known words continues to grow.



Discussing my practice with colleagues and being open to new ideas.- or maybe retutning to old ones!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.