Fitting everything is one of the biggest areas of concern for
teachers. You know what? You can not be everything to everyone all of the time.
If you burn out, then the greatest resource in the classroom is extinguished.
Here are some basic tips for fitting things in that I shared at my last
workshop.
Aim to only read twice a week with children. Quality over
quantity.
Change the time of day you do things each day, this means
different slots will be used for play etc. We eat together and often do phonics
at this time of day.
Set a goal of writing for five or
ten minutes independently for all children depending on age, then let them go,
while others can choose to stay. The ones that go, are usually the ones that
need the play.
Start the day with play...that
first 20 minutes of the day is generally when I get most of my photos for
reflection and is also a good chance to fit one or two readers in.
Set weekly priorities, what are
your goals for the week and then tick them off as done. This feels good!
Don't have a timetable, write it
down, after you have done it, then you won't feel guilty at the end of the day
when you have not managed to get to everything.
I'm pretty sure this came from Leslee Allen of Number Agents.
Reflections:
I love this lady! She is so sensible and realistic.
Sometimes it is easier to just continue with the same thing rather than taking the time to think about the changes you want to make. I am slowly trying to change things in my class and want to use many of Leslee's ideas.
It is important to remember that if I burn out I am not any use to my class!
Next Steps:
I was wondering how to get the photos for the daily journal so using the first part of the day for that is very sensible.
Try changing the time of day we do things- good idea.
I am trying to remember to have food a few minutes before they go outside to play too so that they eat enough during the day.
Weekly priorities- brilliant.

Undertaking PLD and further professional reading.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.