12 June 2019

TBCS - Five Proven Benefits of Play - Judy-Anne





https://www.kqed.org/mindshift/52136/five-proven-benefits-of-play

The authors of the article are asking doctors to prescribe play for kids.

The five benefits
1. Healthy brain development
2. Reduces obesity and associated diseases, particularly if children are running, jumping and climbing
3. Helps children manage stress
4. Helps families bond
5. Contributes to academic skills, in particular language development and general knowledge

Play is intrinsically motivated

Reflections:

I find it so much better when children are instrinsically motivated and just just looking for the next sticker or reward!
I have found the language that occurs as play is happening can be quite amazing and it is good to add the right comment or question too sometimes.

Next steps:
I need to get more outdoor play happening. I have been reluctant to let the children outside too much without an adult but need to find a way. Maybe we all go outside , or maybe we have a class helper, or I check regularly or....


  • Undertaking PLD and further professional reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.