15 February 2018

TBCS - Craig - Reading - Reflection




I started the year feeling a little under prepared. I had a good understanding about the Lexia and Reading Plus programmes from last year and had them sorted and operational for the start of the term. The thing I was not sorted with was reading groups. Judy-Anne and I had meant to get together, but it had never happened. Thank the Lord for C.R.T days!
I had a C.R.T Day on Tuesday, and Judy-Anne put her class with mine so we had the morning together to sort out what I was meant to do and how to achieve it.

The groups were established from data gathered at the end of last year. Only one student had no data to work from, so we went from her level on Lexia, which as it turned out was far below her reading level. This  became a blessing because although we will have to do a running record on her, she has realised how far below her level she is working on Lexia and has determined to catch up, which is great.

One problem I ran into was that one of my groups has 6 students in it and we do not have many sets of journals with 6 or more. It became a real problem till I had an epiphany. Sunshine online has a great reading resource of journals at the levels I need and because every student in my class has a device, they can all access the same journal at the same time. The added bonus is the extra activities attached to each journal.

I have also given each student access to sunshine classics to use for homework reading if they do not have a novel they wish to read. I have set up each account with books at their individual levels.

My big teaching books were set up using the rocket reading sheets.

I will report on how things progress.

Judy-Anne and I also discussed Spelling essential lists and the Gloss test.


  • 2  Making time to have professional discussions with colleagues.
  • 2  Observing and learning from experienced teachers.
  • 3  Understanding and using existing models of effective practice (e.g., Te Kotahitanga and Ka Hikitia)
  • 4  Discussing my practice with colleagues and being open to new ideas.
  • 4  Observing other teachers practices and approaches in the establishment of an inclusive and supportive learning environment.
  • 5  Structuring learning tasks so that all ākonga experience a degree of success, but also ensuring that they are required to stretch themselves to fully succeed.
  • 6  Observing other teachers’ use of resources and teaching strategies.
  • 6  Seeking advice and feedback from colleagues on planning units, useful resources, and strategies to enhance ākonga interest and engagement.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Craig for this update. The challenge of balancing energies with times is a perpetual one in this game I reckon, and one that is a constant reminder to look after one's wellbeing.

    I'm glad you are getting your programme up and running as you'd like - can't kids share the book if there aren't enough?

    I hope you have a restful weekend,
    Rob

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.