When I first started at TBCS Lyn used to get us to choose a word for ourselves for the year. It would be interesting to go back and see if I could find some historical ones.
This year I have chosen the word Capacity. Yesterday I was thinking that I should choose a more uplifting word as well but I think this will be sufficient. Our capacity directly affects our well being and the sustainability of what we can manage to do so it’s a useful start.
Reflection:
Why Capacity?
Recently Steve and I met with Rob from Learning architects. He talked about the capacity of our team. Obviously a smaller team means a smaller capacity, plus each member has a different capacity. It is important that we’ve don’t exceed the capacity of our team. We need to be wise about what we take on. The challenge is to know how much is too much for each member of the team I guess.
Then Daryl commented that I have a large capacity, because I put my hands up for lots off jobs at church. I did say that was related to my family situation because I don’t have as many calls on my time as someone who has young children or a partner. I also commented that my capacity is decreasing.
When two unrelated people mention the same word in connection with you it is worth listening!
I have been finding that I have a lot more ability to make plans than to carry them out!
One way capacity gets decreased is by negativity. We have taken some hits about our performance and abilities over the last year so that’s takes a bit of recovering from.
As I get older I am feeling more tired so also have less physical capacity.
I am hoping that Nick coming in to increase Teacher Capabvility is going to be within our capacity!
Definition of capacity:
Your capacity for something is your ability to do it, or the amount of it that you are able to do.
1 (noun)
Definition
the ability to do something
Our capacity for giving care, love and attention is limited.
Synonyms
competence or competency
Next steps:
Talks to Nic at Dovedale. How do they manage with just two of them?
Improve health- increase fruit, vegetable and water intake and exercise.
Learn more about everyones strengths and therefore what indicators they may demonstrate to indicate they are being overloaded.

- Engaging in regular professional communication as appropriate.
- Participation in professional development (PLD), both in school and through outside agencies. Working with colleagues to enact the new learning.
- Actively listening to what is being said by others and reflecting thoughtfully on information shared.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.