7 July 2019

TBCS - Margaret - Conference - Emotional Intelligence


 

Notes from Course

LOVE PEOPLE
Alex Snary – Emotional Intelligence

If you had to choose between getting the job done or developing a relationship what would you choose?

If we don’t know how to work in a way that maintains relationships everything fails
Look back on your school years – what do you take away with you?
Successful leadership and emotional intelligence
Studies – what leads to people moving up the ladder – the ability to be able to relate to others
When people are in a positive environment they are much more successful
Daniel Goldman
Are we equipping our children for a successful life?
Things that show poor emotional intelligence skills
 The ability to listen to others
Defensiveness

Need to control others
Need to win the conversation
The Opposite
Lack of defensive
Open to others
Value others
Sensitivity
Release people into their gifting
Abide by a decision that didn’t go your way.

Some of us start further down the line in emotional intelligence – we can all get better at it

Self awareness – if I am not aware of how I am feeling – then I can actively manage it
Strengths, weakness
Whats causing me to feel this way?
Self assessment/ leads naturally to confidence in ourselves.  We cannot change what we are not aware of.
Openly assess ourselves
Its what we do with the emotion that counts
We need people in our lives that can speak to us (students – knowing them)
Have at least 3 people that can speak to you in your lives
Reflection after feedback – space for reflection (in class)
Regular feedback with students

Self Management – once I understand I have the power on how to respond
Looking around us – in our workplace/to others
The brain should rule the heart – thinking before we speak
Leadership – be perceived as trustworthy
Adaptability – adapt leadership style according to situation (different students/classes)
Trustworthiness – integrity, honesty, self control


Social Awareness
Family/Collegues/Students
Sensing emotions of others – empathy
Social Clues – whats not being said
Physical cues/non verbal ques
Having the interest to ask questions and observe
Love people
Levels of loving people – Do we really love our kids?
Any other motivation apart from love students will pick this up.
Have a heart for people
Pray for a heart for people.  How do I keep loving them?
Empathy will naturally flow from this
Got to have the love to engage.  Empathy leads to social awareness
What is my motivation?  Am I serving the interest of the students I teach?


Relationship management – improving the way we have relationship with others
People with higher EQ naturally find themselves in positions where they are given permission to speak into peoples lives
Love People
That what kids will remember – those who encourage them, speak to them, love them genuinely

Link to Standards

Where to Next 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.